This is such a simple recipe – great for starting in the morning before heading out the door!
Ingredients and Tools:
- One pasture raised whole chicken – approximately 4-5 pounds
- One Tbsp of butter
- Herbs and spices of your choice (I’ve used Italian seasoning with salt, pepper, paprika & cayenne)
- a Crock Pot
- Rinse chicken
- Place the butter in the crock pot, and turn on crock pot to low.
- Once the butter has melted, place the chicken in the crock pot (place breast side down if you’d like to cook it faster).
- Sprinkle or rub on desired spices. Can also add a quartered onion or smashed garlic cloves to the cavity of the chicken for extra flavor.
- Put lid on, and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until well done.
Voila! Now remove from crock pot, cut into parts and serve! Delicious!
The carcass and any remaining bones can be placed back into the crock pot with enough water to cover and turn to low to make your own chicken stock. Can throw in a carrot or celery for extra flavor. Let it simmer sweetly for 12-24 hours and your broth will be gorgeously golden!